Friday, December 14, 2012

Spar Ends - Three more hours

Finished shaping and smoothing spar end pieces today.  The 1/4" pieces for the wing spars are primed and drying.  Here is a picture of the first one I finished.

1/4" Spar end finished with self etching primer

After cutting the pieces out, I hand filed them, then a couple of minutes on the bench grinder wire brush and finally hand sanded with 220 grit to a smooth finish.  Cleaned with mineral spirits and then painted one coat of self etching primer.  The final piece looks pretty impressive.  Looks like a machined piece. Eight more to go for the 1/8" spar ends that go on the center spar.  That will be tomorrow's task.  Although I'll probably be back in the garage/workshop this evening.  I wanted to keep dust down while the primer sets on the pieces I sprayed today.

Thanks for checking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment