Thursday, December 5, 2013

Aileron Bellcranks

While waiting for parts and materials to continue work on the right leading edge wing I started working on the aileron bellcrank pieces.   For my first attempt I traced the shape of the bellcrank parts onto .030 6061-T6 and cut the shape out with aviation snips.  Well, the result was not good.  The pieces I cut were "warped" during the cutting process.  So I chucked them in the trash can.  For my next attempt I traced the part from the plans to tracing paper then used a glue stick to adhere the tracing paper to poster board then cut it out from the poster board to use it as a template.  Instead of cutting out the piece with tin snips I decided to use my bench band saw to cut the shape and then finish off shaping by hand file and 3M green pad.  The resulting pieces were much nicer.


In this photo you can see the plans, the template I made, and the cut out and shaped pieces.  Much better.  I have to finish the other two pieces and then cut out the piece of 2024-T4 1" x 1/4" bar stock then drill.  I am much happier with the results I get with the band saw for cutting out the pieces.

Tomorrow I will be installing the new MIL-SPEC 18 gauge wire I got for my lights in the leading edge and then drill the bottom leading edge skin.  And the lights I ordered (see previous post) arrived.  It will be a while before I install those.  Have to finish the wing and make the fiber glass wing tips first..

Thanks for checking in  -

Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment