Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Wing Assembly - The first rivet

Drilled my first rivet hole in the right wing forward rib today.  Discovered that my pneumatic palm drill is not going to work for drilling the wing rib holes.  I either have to get a long drill bit or an angle attachment.  Was looking into getting a 90 degree drill but they are just a bit pricey.  So here is a picture of my first drilled hole -


I'm going to check online with Wicks and Aircraft Spruce to see what is available.  And I'll will probably stop by the local Home Depot to see what I can find.  I hope they may have a long drill bit which would allow me drill in this confined area.  Live and learn.

I was really worried about drilling the first hole.  I used the alignment tool that is called out in the plans. Attached my fabricated alignment tool to the leading edge rib with a couple of small bolts with nuts.  Lined up the rib flush and square with the wing spar which is clamped to the work table.  And then held my breath - drilled the first hole - then cleco'd it in place.  It looks okay to me.  Square and aligned with the base.  I attempted to drill a second hole but my drill is just too big to fit in the area betwen the rib and the spar.  This is a learning experience.  And I am proceeding S L O W with everything.

Will update tomorrow after my visit to The Home Depot.  If I get a drill bit or angle attachment for my drill that works.  I will continue fastening leading edge ribs to the spar.

Thanks for checking in -

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment