Sunday, November 18, 2012

Spar End Fabrication - Slow and steady hand filing - 4hrs

Started spar end fabrication today.  About 4hrs work and I still have five more blanks to cut/shape.  It's slow going without a bench grinder.  I'll need to invest in one.  Been hand filing all the ends and still have to shape and smooth them.  Tomorrow I will finish the five remaining 1/8" pieces and then start milling the end shapes and finishing.  Here's what I have so far:

Three of the eight 1/4" pieces

I have been getting consistent with my cuts.  Using a hand orbital jig saw with a metal blade to do the cuts.  I rig up a guide for each cut to help me keep it square.  Less filing that way :)

Makeshift guide to keep things square when cutting

Progress at last!  I am starting to understand that this is going to be a long process.  But a little at a time. That's how I'll take it.  I'm sure the work today would have gone faster with a bench grinder to do the finishing and shaping.  However with a hand file it is likely I won't over shape or remove too much material during the shaping.  Heck, the Wright brothers didn't have electric grinders did they?  Well, maybe they had some steam or foot powered tools in their shop.  


No comments:

Post a Comment