Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Shop Preparation

Fact is I need to set up my workshop before I can build my CX4.  I have spent a bunch of time reading and studying the plans and construction manual.  I have done a lot of planning and materials purchase research and pricing.  Have laid out my first build task which is the main and center spars.  Ordered some material, ordered some tools.  I'm going to need a band saw for this project.  Several years ago I got a band saw from my Dad's workshop after he passed.  The saw has been sitting in my garage for a few years and so yesterday I pulled it out, dusted it off and cleaned it.  Found that the power switch was not working.  Pulled the power panel off of it and found it to be a simple SPST toggle type switch.  Went to Home Depot.  Got a switch and put it in.  Voila!  The band saw works!  Okay, that's a couple of hundred bucks I don't have to spend on another tool for the shop.   Here's a picture of the cleaned up band saw.

Old Sears Bandsaw from my Dad's shop
Thanks  Dad.  I know you would appreciate this being used for my airplane build.

Another tool that's going to be well used is a drill press.  So I went to Harbor Freight Tools in Gaithersburg, MD.  Found a nice drill press for a reasonable price.  I know it's a China special.  Everything at Harbor Freight is made in China.  But I hope this is sufficient for my needs.  

Drill Press - $69.00 at Harbor Freight


Also went to a craft store and picked up some tracing paper for transferring plans drawings to poster board and then on to either wood for parts fabrication or directly onto aluminum as needed.  

I'm going to do some plans tracing now.  Think I will trace the rib forms from the plans to some 3/4" plywood to make the ribs.  If anyone reading this doesn't know - the wing ribs and other sheet aluminum parts are formed by sandwiching aluminum between two "form blocks" and then banging them into shape with a hammer.  The EAA has a good series that shows this method here.  I'll post some pictures and progress on this next time.

Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment