Monday, October 15, 2012

Word to the wise: Rivet Puller (Don't go cheap)

I purchased a swivel-head blind rivet tool from Harbor Freight (HF).  Also bought some aluminium stock pieces from The Home Depot.  Intended to practice drilling and shaping the material and then start to develop my blind rivet skills.  The rivet puller (manual) I got at HF was on sale for $4.99 (regular price $9.99).  And it comes with four heads for different sized rivets and a collection of aluminum rivets.


Don't buy one of these.  I pulled two aluminum rivets with it and it failed.  With the volume of pulled rivets in this project - this is not the tool to use.  I will probably buy one from AircraftSpruce or Wicks and pay a bit more for better quality.  I will also invest in a pneumatic rivet puller.  As I noted in an earlier post - 5,000+ blind rivets to pull.  The tool from HF won't cut it.  Good news - I bought the rivet tool from the HarborFreight online store and was able to return it to the store in Gaithersburg without any problems. 

Guess the lesson here is - you get what you pay for.  A $4.99 rivet puller won't measure up for my CX4 project... 

No comments:

Post a Comment