Monday, October 8, 2012

Rivet Methods and Project Table

Still doing a lot of research, reading, studying, and making material lists.  I wonder if other builders count the time spent studying plans and shopping for material in the build time for their projects?

I have discovered that the CX4 Community Yahoo group is VERY helpful.   The photos provided by other builders in the group are a great help.  Also, the time I spend studying the plans is starting to be realized - I am getting better at interpreting the plans and visualizing the spar build task.   Seems the more I study the plans - the more detail I can visualize.  Think that is a good thing.

I am going to do more shop organizing and setup.  Get the materials and build the table I will need.  Dave Thatcher says to build a 13x3' table for the project.  There are some good references from EAA regarding the design and construction of work tables.  I found that EAA Chapter 10000 has  a good write up on their website.

So far progress on the actual CX4 is limited to planning, analysis, reading, and studying.  I feel that this time is not wasted.  I hope my attention to detail and planning will limit the expected goofs and errors that are part of the building/learning process.

One of the things I have been looking into is how to rivet the spars.  The spar construction task is  just about the only parts build that require traditional bucked rivets.  You can use a rivet gun/bucking bar method, rivet press, or arbor press methods for rivets.  Any way you do it I understand it takes practice to develop this skill.  To that end I have decided to do some test rivets using aluminum "test" stock that I can get a TheHomeDepot or Lowes.  They both stock aluminum angles and sheets in smaller (non-aviation grade) pieces.  I think practicing drilling, shaping, and riveting these test pieces will be a better way to develop the skills required without wasting valuable and more expensive 6061-T6 stock.


I plan to try the arbor press method that is documented in the EAA website here.  You can get an Arbor Press (picture above) from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $50.  I will let you know how it works.

Stay tuned..  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment